Visual Reactive Programming with Bonsai
This training course will introduce you to the basic concepts of data acquisition and behavioural control using the Bonsai visual programming language.
|Seminar||Introduction to Bonsai||DeepLabCut
|Higher Order Operators||BonVision||BonZeb
|Workshop||Acquisition and Tracking||Closed-loop experiments||Operant behavior||Vision experiments||Final projects|
Day 1 - Introduction to Bonsai
- Introduction to Bonsai. What is visual reactive programming?
- How to measure almost anything with Bonsai (from quantities to bytes).
- How to control almost anything with Bonsai (from bytes to effects).
- Real-time tracking of colored objects, moving objects and contrasting objects.
- Measuring behavior using voltages and an Arduino.
Day 2 - Real-time closed-loop experiments
- Markerless behavior tracking using Bonsai + DeepLabCut.
- Data synchronization and measuring closed-loop latency.
- Conditional effects. Triggering a stimulus based on video activity.
- Continuous feedback. Modulate stimulus intensity with speed or distance.
- Feedback stabilization. Record video centered around a moving object.
Day 3 - Operant behavior tasks
- Creating dynamic observable sequences with higher-order operators.
- Modeling trial sequences: states, events, and side-effects.
- Driving state transitions with external inputs.
- Choice, timeouts and conditional logic. Building reaction time and Go/No-Go tasks.
- Best practices for composing complex workflows.
Day 4 - Interactive visual environments
- Creating and controlling visual environments with BonVision.
- Building closed-loop virtual reality experiments.
- Combining real-time and non real-time logic.
- Building variable trial structures.
- Logging stimulus and response outcomes.
Day 5 - Extending Bonsai
- Multi-animal tracking and body part feature extraction with BonZeb.
- Reproducible deployment and automation of experiments.
- Interfacing Bonsai with Python and MATLAB.
- Bonsai hackathon and project presentations.
- Where Bonsai is going.